Pet food poisoning is among the most common yet ignored topics, which can be life-threatening sometimes. Many people don’t do proper research for dog food and feed their pets what they eat themselves. Due to this negligence, many pet dogs become seriously ill (some die as well) every year.
Every pet and dog owner must understand that what is good for humans may or may not be good for the pets and dogs too. For your convenience, we have listed some of the most common human foods which must not be fed to the dogs.
Many people search for “is chocolate bad for dogs”. The answer is clearly “yes”. There are several reasons behind it. The first one is the elements it contains that can slow down the metabolic process in dogs. Methylxanthines and theobromine are substances that are harmful to your pet. Some say that white chocolate is safe but that’s not true either. There can be a varying level of danger in different chocolates but all of them are harmful. It can also cause vomiting, seizures, diarrhea, and heart problems (irregular heartbeat) in dogs.
In smaller breeds, around 15 grams of baking chocolate can be fatal. The number is 110 to 230 grams in large dog breeds.
Foods Having Cinnamon
Cinnamon is commonly used in many Pakistani dishes. It might not be toxic for the dogs but you should still avoid feeding it. This spice can cause mouth irritation and ultimately sickness. It can initiate different conditions such as lower blood sugar, vomiting, diarrhea, reduced pulse rate, and liver disease as well.
Foods Containing Onion and Garlic
Onion and garlic are the most popular ingredients in Pakistani food recipes, which are dangerous for your dog. It is better to keep both of these items away from your dog as it can kill their red blood cells. In severe cases, it can lead to anemia. It might also lead to death. The symptoms may not appear quickly. However, do look out for weakness, pale gums, increased heart rate, and take your dog to the vet if it collapses.
Dairy Products Like Milk and Ice Cream
You need to watch your kids when they are eating ice cream or drinking milk as they are not good feeding options for your dog. Children mostly feed their pets the things they like the most. Ice cream contains a lot of sugar, which is not the best thing for any animal. And many of them are allergic to lactose. The same is the case with milk and other dairy products. Note that milk in small quantities might not hurt some dogs. Though it can cause itching, diarrhea and digestive problems.
Food Having Xylitol
Xylitol is a sweetener that can cause severe medical problems in dogs. It is an element that is commonly used in bakery items, candies, and diet foods. It can reduce the blood sugar levels that might cause coordination problems, vomiting, and lethargy. Be careful about it as this element can cause liver failure.
Alcohol is dangerous for your pet, more so than in humans. It can cause vomiting, coordination problems and diarrhea, etc. It can also cause breathing problems, coma, and even death.
Coffee and tea are the two most popular drinks in Pakistan that contain caffeine and you should avoid giving them to your dog. It is bad in two ways.
- It contains milk (milk tea or milk coffee)
- Caffeine contains the same harmful elements as chocolate
Products Containing Macadamia Nuts
Macadamia nuts are not common in Pakistan, but they are present in imported chocolates. These nuts can make your dog sick. The most common symptoms this item can cause are high fever, back leg weakness, vomiting, and shaking muscles. It can affect the nervous system of dogs.
Undercooked or raw fish is bad for the health of your dog. It has bacteria that can cause food poisoning. Some of them also have parasites that can cause different diseases. Eating fish can lead to salmon poisoning, which has the following symptoms: weight loss, weakness, fever, eyes and nose discharge, elevated heart rate, and enlarged lymph nodes.
The effects of grapes and raisins are adverse on the dogs. In the worst cases, they can cause kidney failure in them. Even a small amount is enough to make them sick, sluggish, and depressed all day. Vomiting is also a major sign that your dog has eaten grapes or raisins.
People generally give Over-the-counter (OTC) drugs and other medicines made for humans to their dogs. This must be avoided. Humans and animals have different metabolic systems, and they react differently to various medicines. You should always consult a pet doctor or a vet (veterinarian) if your dog is sick. Human medicines are not tested to be safe for dogs.
People love to feed their dogs what they eat. This practice must be avoided as it can do more harm than good. The above mentioned are some of the most common food items fed to pet dogs.
Your dog should not eat these foods. Instead buy dog food for your furry friend.
Have you ever fed human food to your pet dog? Did it cause medical problems? How did you deal with them? Do let us know in the comment section.
You may also like: