Parrots are among the most favorite pets in Pakistan. Due to their acrobatic antics, appealing colors, and silly but cute behavior, these birds are pretty hard to resist. Different types of parrots in Pakistan are popular among the locals. Their species include Macaw, Australian king, Cockatiel, Raw, African grey, and Fisher.
The information specific to these species is not so common. It is the reason why we are here with the little known but interesting facts about the different types of parrots in Pakistan.
Macaw Parrot – The Most Colorful Type of Parrot
Macaw parrots are colorful, have light-colored medial (facial patch) areas, and long tails. It is among the most popular parrot species in Pakistan. Here are some interesting facts everyone should know about it.
Macaw Parrot Facts:
- Average Lifespan: 50-60 years
- Average Length: 80-100 cm
- Origin / Native: Central, North, and South America, and formerly the Caribbean.
- Diet: Seeds, nuts, fruits, palm fruits, leaves, flowers, sweet potatoes, spinach, carrots, stems, etc
- Macaws are the largest parrots.
- A Macaw’s facial feather pattern is as unique as a fingerprint.
- Some breeds can even crack coconut shells with their powerful beaks
- They have scaly and dry tongues. Also, they have a bone in the tongue to tap fruits.
- Macaw can travel upto 24 km in a day.
- Male generally gathers food when the female sits on her eggs.
- Foods such as cherries, avocado, uncooked meats, shellfish and chocolates are dangerous for them.
- They are fond of soft clean branches and wooden toys.
- When kept in a cage, they seek a lot of attention through loud and aggressive screaming.
- Macaws can talk and learn various tricks.
- They are allergic to fumes from non-stick cookware as well as air fresheners
- Macaws are romantic. Once they have found mates, they stick together for the rest of their lives.
You can buy Macaw Parrot at an average price of Rs.50,000 but the blue one will cost you over an average of Rs.200,000.
Australian parrot (Budgie/Budgerigar) – Cute Type of Parrot
Budgerigar also called Budgie or Australian parrot among the locals is a small and long tailed parrot. It’s usually found in yellow and green colors. You can find black, scalloped markings on their nape, back, and wings. This parrot type is highly popular among the locals.
Here are some facts about Budgie that will leave you amazed.
Australian Parrot Facts
- Average Lifespan: 5-8 years
- Average Length: 18-20 cm
- Origin / Native: Australia
- Diet: Seeds, nuts, fruits, and other diet most parrots eat
- Budgerigar fossils have been found dating back 50K–70K years
- Budgie’s heart rate is also extremely fast (over 300 pulses per minute)
- Due to monocular vision, Budgies can see with each eye
- Budgies can rotate their heads up to 180 degrees
- This Australian parrot poops as often as every twenty minutes
- They have three eyelids.
You can buy Australian Parrot or Budgie at an average price of Rs.500.
Cockatiel Parrot – Smallest Type of Parrot with Head Crest
Cockatiel parrot also called weiro bird is a small parrot which is highly popular in Pakistan.
Most of these parrots are grey with yellow heads having red/orange cheeks and long tails. They have feathers on their head known as crests.They are mostly found in ecosystems with water bodies, such as lakes / rivers, and in close proximity to open areas or woods.
Here are some interesting facts about them.
Cockatiel parrot facts
- Average Lifespan: 10-14 years
- Average Length: 30-33 cm
- Origin / Native: Australia
- Diet: Berries, melon, papaya, kiwi, sunflower seeds, etc
- Male Cockatiels are better whistlers
- Can mimic human voices
- Cockatiel parrots are the smallest animal with a head crest
- Their head crest can tell you about their mood
- Cockatiel can get depressed if kept alone for a long period
- Smell of essential oils, aftershave, burning Teflon / non stick coating is harmful for some of them
- Chocolate, onions, milk, cream, honey, avocado, raw potatoes, etc. are harmful for Cockatiels
- They can fly for 48 km every day.
You can buy Cockatiel parrot at an average price of Rs.3,000.
Raw Parrot (Rose Ringed Parakeet) – Most Popular Type of Parrot in Pakistan
Rose ringed parakeet also called Raw parrot / ringneck parrot is a popular parrot breed here. It has a green color and a red ring around the neck. However, it can come in multiple colors such as turquoise, cinnamon, olive, white, blue, violet, grey and yellow.
Here are some interesting facts you should know about Raw parrots.
Raw Parrot Facts
- Average Lifespan: 20-25 years
- Average Length: 38-42 cm
- Origin / Native: African / Asia (subcontinent)
- Diet: Buds, fruits, vegetables, nuts, berries, dates, seeds, etc
- Only the male parakeet has the rose-colored collar around the neck
- In many parts of the world (UK, Netherland, etc.), the rose-ringed parakeets are considered pests due to their invasive nature
- Raw parrots can mimic human speech
- They were seen as status symbols in India as they were kept mostly by the royal families
- Apple seeds, salt, avocado, mushrooms, etc. are not recommended for them.
African Grey Parrot – Intelligent Type of Parrot
Scalloped grey plumage is the main identity of the African Grey parrot. The color is darker towards the head side and lighter on the lower side. Feathers are edged in white and the tail has bright red color. You will find blending of white color around their face having highest density around the eyes area.
Here are some interesting facts about this parrot.
African Grey Parrot Facts
- Average Lifespan: 19-23 years
- Average Length: 30-35 cm
- Origin / Native: African
- Diet: Fruit, nuts, tree barks, seeds, insects and snails, etc
- African Grey is among the most intelligent bird species
- They form very strong bonds with the owners
- Junk food, salty items, chocolate, caffeinated drinks, etc. are not recommended as part of their diet.
You can buy African Grey parrot at an average price of over Rs.90,000.
Fisher Parrot – Big Eye Parrot Type
Fisher parrot is a small and the cutest parrot species due to their prominent eyes and ambient green and orange colors. Their neck is golden yellow and their head is olive color from the topside. They have different variations in the colors.
Here are some little known facts about them.
Fisher Parrot Facts
- Average Lifespan: 15-20 years
- Average Length: 12-16 cm
- Origin / Native: Tanzania
- Diet: Fruit, nuts, seeds, insects, and some other parrot foods
- They cannot talk like other parrots but their singing is pleasant.
You can buy Fisher parrot at an average price of over Rs.2,500.
Love Birds Parrot – Smallest Type of Parrot
Love birds are small, social, and affectionate parrots which are highly popular types of parrots in Pakistan. You will find them in green and yellow, blue and white, and other color combinations. Due to their cute little size and large appealing eyes, they are popular all over the world.
Here are some interesting facts about them.
- Average Lifespan: 20-30 years
- Average Length: 13-17 cm
- Origin / Native: Africa
- Diet: Fruits, vegetables, grass, insects, figs, and seeds
- They generally don’t mimic humans
- Lovebirds are one of the smallest parrot types
- They are extremely active
- The love birds would only sit next to their mate
You can buy lovebirds at an average price of over Rs.3,000.
Most of us who have parrots as pets do have basic knowledge about them. But it is important to know facts about different types of parrots in Pakistan to know the birds better. Therefore, we have mentioned some important facts about these birds that will help you understand your favorite parrot better.
Do you have parrots? Would you like to share their traits and characteristics with other readers here?
You may also like: