Kids don’t play with toys because they are kids, they play because they develop social, emotional and cognitive skills through play. Playing with toys also boosts their confidence.
However, not every toy is appropriate for kids. This is why you will find age-specific toys in the market which are specifically catered to a specific age group. If you are wondering which toy would best suit your child, this blog is for you.
Below we have listed popular toys for kids according to their age.
Babies (0-6 months)
In this age, every colorful and noisy toy would keep them mesmerized. Before we give you any toy suggestions, make sure the toy you buy has the following characteristics:
- It should have a reasonable area to grip. This will develop the baby’s muscles.
- It should make noise as you move it. This will make the baby curious to explore and make movements.
- It should be visually attractive because sight is one of the most developed senses at this time. Most of the new things kids will learn are through their sight.
- It should be safe for babies to suck or chew.
- The toy should have a textured surface so they can feel and unlock the touch and memory functions of their mind.
Baby toys from 0 to 6 months:
- PipSquigz Ringlets
- Sensory Rollers
Babies (7 to 12 months)
Babies of this age are agile, they might have started rolling, crawling, sitting and standing with support. At this point, they may start to recognize their name and many other common words. A baby from 7 to 12 months understands the directions, shapes and simple commands.
Any baby toys you look for your young one should have the following features,
- Visuals are important for engagement
- Large soft blocks, etc
- Large toys to push or pull for muscle growth
Baby toys from 7 to 12 months:
- Ragtales Baby Plush Toy Rattle
- Soft Clemmy Touch Move & Play Sensory Train
- Tobbles Neo
- Taf Toys Savannah Discovery Cube
- Tomy Hide N Squeak Eggs
Kids (1 to 2 years)
At this stage, your little one is running and walking all over the place, often spilling and destroying things, and even climbing stairs. For a parent, this phase can be tiresome due to constant care.
Keep them busy with the best toys for their age. You can buy any toy with the following characters. The features we have mentioned below are much needed for the growing ages from one to two years.
- Graphical illustrations to understand the basic objects
- Visual and audio songs, poems and stories
- Blocks to build up structures
- Toy phones, vehicles, books, pens, etc
Toys for kids from 1 to 2 years:
- Dummy phones
- Visual books
- Tricky building blocks
- Three-wheeler bicycles
- 10-12 piece puzzles with large blocks
Kids (2 to 3 years)
Now, they are learning new words every day. New habits are being formed and responses towards danger and fear are also developing. A kid of this age is very active and ready to test physical limits. Since they exhaust themselves, therefore they sleep so deep at night. The motor and sensory controls have also developed which means they have command over each finger. Their sense of heat and cold also develops in this age.
In this age, they need advanced toys to further enhance their abilities. Make sure to get your kid toys with the following characteristics.
- Educational videos for kids
- Kids movies
- Large toys for muscle movement
- Educational toys like musical instruments
Toys for kids from 2 to 3 years:
- 12-20 piece puzzles
- Child size furniture
- Child size toy car
- Clay, moldings and playdough
- Musical pieces like a xylophone, small piano for kids, keyboards, etc
These were some toy ideas for kids of age ranging from 0 months to 3 years. Do you have any more ideas to share? Let us know in the comments.
You may also like: