When allowed in moderation, playing video games can be both fun and a learning experience. Though not all, some games promote quick thinking skills, are educational and develop fine motor skills and coordination in your child. However, there is no denying that video games have played a fundamental role in the promotion of violence and other negative behavior especially in kids. In extreme cases, gaming addiction has led to suicide in young teens.
To prevent your kids from becoming video game addicts, parents have a variety of options – setting parental controls on video game consoles in one of them. In this blog, we will show you how to set up parental controls on Xbox, Nintendo Switch and PlayStation.
How to Set Parental Controls on Xbox One and Xbox Series S/X
It takes only one step to set up parental control on Xbox. By the way, you can follow these same steps for the same purpose on your Windows 10 and 11.
- Go to System ＞Settings ＞Account ＞Family to manage permissions for child family members. You can set time limits, block mature content, restrict communication, etc. as part of setting parental control. For Windows, managing family members’ aspects can be done with your Microsoft account.
⇒ To Approve Purchases – Simply go to the Family and access your child’s account. Now go to Privacy & Online Safety ＞Xbox Live privacy ＞View details & customize ＞Buy & download. For Windows 10 and 11, you can do the same through your Microsoft account.
How to Enable Parental Controls on PlayStation 4 and 5
You can enable parental controls on PlayStation 4 and 5 in three simple steps:
- Go to Account Management ＞Existing PlayStation Network account ＞Add your child or children and set up a user Family.
- Give permission to yourself to monitor your child’s activity. You can give this permission to any other adult account holder.
- Now go to Settings ＞Parental Controls ＞Family Management to turn on security features including content restrictions, web filtering, time and spending limits, etc.
How to Set Parental Controls on Nintendo Switch
Perhaps the easiest way to set parental controls on Nintendo Switch is to download Nintendo’s parental control app which is available for both iOS and Android. This app enables you to create your own blocklist, select a time period during which your kids can play Nintendo, restrict content, etc.
The following steps will help you set parental controls even if you haven’t downloaded the app.
- Go to System Settings ＞Parental Controls which will help you block content based on age, disable VR and limit communication.
- If you have downloaded the app, from Parental Controls follow on-screen instructions to sync the app with Switch to the same Nintendo Account.
- Once synced, you can set time limits and block inappropriate content using the mobile app.
As written earlier, when allowed in moderation, video games can be beneficial for your child. If you are looking for video game consoles and their accessories, OLX Pakistan has a variety of them in both new and used conditions. Do check them out.
You may also like to read:
Impact of Toys on Child Development
Leave a Reply