Recently, the floods of Biblical proportions in Pakistan have once again shed light on the health effects of drinking contaminated water. To be clear, one thing must be stated from the outset, water contamination can occur without flooding as well.
In a year, diarrhea, one of the most known diseases linked to contaminated water, alone kills about 1 million people worldwide. Though, diarrhea is preventable. However, not many know that there are other contaminated water borne diseases like schistosomiasis, which are equally if not more dangerous than diarrhea.
In this blog, you’ll find valuable information on what contaminates water, its health effects and what you can do to prevent them.
What Is Contaminated Water and How Water Gets Contaminated?
A contaminated water would contain the following:
- E. coli Bacteria
- Microbial Pathogens
- Fecal Matter
- Coliform Bacteria
It is important to state that not all of the above have a color or smell. While contaminated water may smell or taste different, not all contaminated water tastes or smells different.
There are different ways through which water can get contaminated. For example:
- Cracks in water pipes
- Industrial waste getting into the water
- Chemicals, fertilizers or pesticides used on land near the water
- Sewer overflows
Health Effects of Drinking Contaminated Water: Symptoms & Signs
It is very important to realize that if you have been exposed to water contamination, you may not experience its adverse effects immediately. To what extent and degree you will experience these symptoms and signs is dependent on your:
- Physical condition
The following are some (not all) of the symptoms of drinking contaminated water:
- Gastrointestinal problems
- Stomach aches and pains
- Stomach or intestinal cramping
- Nausea and vomiting
If water is contaminated by radium or radon gas, its long term effects can be seen in the form of:
- Heart disease
Groups Most Vulnerable
Water contamination will effect these the most:
- Young children
- Pregnant women
- People with weakened immune systems
First thing first. Not all contaminants can be killed by boiling water. While some bacteria, viruses, and parasites are killed during boiling, the process also increases the concentration of other contaminants due to evaporation.
So what to do? Getting your water tank or reservoir clean periodically is one of the ways. And if you are looking for water tank cleaning services near you, do check our listings.
However, there is one other popular and effective way to prevent yourself from getting sick from drinking contaminated water.
RO: Reverse Osmosis
An Ro or Reverse Osmosis water purification system offers the cleanest water. It provides a variety of other benefits too, which are laid out later in this blog. But first, what is RO?
Reverse Osmosis Definition
RO technology is used to remove a large quantity of contaminants from water by forcing the water to pass through a semipermeable membrane under pressure. This process is also sometimes called deionization or demineralization of water.
Benefits of Drinking RO Water
There are many, some of which are listed below:
- Safe, Clean and Healthier Water I – This is obvious. RO water purifiers produce clean water which is mostly devoid of major harmful chemicals, bacteria, fungus, germs, parasites, and viruses.
- Safe, Clean and Healthier Water II – Heavy metals like copper, nickel, lead and iron can cause serious health hazards including cancer, organ damage and nervous system damage. Ground water can also contain these contaminants. RO treated water is devoid of these contaminants.
- Healthy Skin & Hair – If you want to have moisturized skin and strong hair, you need to keep yourself hydrated. Of course, all types of water (including contaminated) can keep you hydrated but drinking contaminated water leads to multiple health conditions and diseases.
- Weight Loss – Drinking adequate amounts of water every day is essential for increased metabolism and effective digestion. So, if you want to lose weight, you need to keep yourself adequately hydrated by drinking clean water.
- Metabolism & Digestion – To improve metabolism, keep yourself hydrated. A healthy metabolism rate means burning calories fast while resting. A healthy metabolism makes food digestion faster, making you feel healthier.
RO Plant Price in Pakistan
If you are looking for RO plants price in Pakistan then check out their listings on OLX Pakistan. Their price will vary depending upon your daily water consumption and whether you need this plant for residential or commercial purposes, etc.
Do you have an RO plant at home or work? Share your thoughts with us on its pros and cons.
You may also like to read: