We all know someone who falls asleep as soon as they hit the sack. The rest of us are unfortunately not that lucky.
There is no arguing, a good sleep can change the quality of your life. For those of you who can’t sleep quickly, you can start by adopting the following changes in your life.
Prerequisites to Fall Asleep Without Any Tricks
Before we jump into the hacks to fall asleep early, it’s preferable if you can fall asleep in a natural way. Follow the below-mentioned basic steps for healthy sleep.
1. Avoid Blue light
The use of ambient lighting on the ceiling is hot these days and almost every modern interior has blue ambient lighting in them. Do not turn on the blue light before going to bed because it directly affects your sleep.
Blue light stops the production of melatonin, which is responsible for sleep.
2. Don’t Use Smartphone
Did you know, experts suggest not using mobile phones for at least 30 minutes before going to bed. This is because reducing screen time can help you sleep better. It’s mainly because screens also emit blue light which inhibits the production of melatonin. Also, excessive smartphone and computer use can stress you out, hindering falling asleep quickly.
3. Try Yoga
Yoga is one of the best ways to sleep naturally. It involves slow breathing and relaxation of muscles, both of which stimulate the Vagus nerve. The Vagus nerve affects the parasympathetic nervous system (PNS) to promote rest and sleep mechanisms of the body. Hence allows you to sleep faster in a natural way.
You can find Yoga mats and exercise equipment on OLX Classifieds.
4. Avoid Eating Before Going to the Bed
Indigestion and heart burning are the top reasons why many people cannot sleep at night. Avoid eating before going to bed and half of your sleep issues will be gone. Do not eat spicy or processed foods at night, especially if you suffer from high blood pressure.
If you follow these steps but still can’t sleep, don’t worry, below are the tricks you can use to fall asleep quickly.
How to Fall Asleep in Under 10 Seconds?
Commonly known as the “Military Method” this hack is used in the military to put soldiers to sleep even under war-like conditions.
The Military Method:
- Relax your facial muscles, even the ones inside your mouth. Let them loose and relax.
- Afterwards, relax your shoulder muscles.
- Exhale by relaxing your thorax muscles.
- Similarly, relax your thigh, calves, and feet muscles.
- You have relaxed all musicals, now relax your mind. Think of a calm and relaxing place.
- If you can’t get over thoughts, try saying, “Don’t Think” for 10 seconds. And you will fall asleep.
Most of you will fall asleep using this method. However, if you still have trouble sleeping we have another hack for you to fall asleep in under 60 seconds.
How to Fall Asleep in Under 60 Seconds?
Falling asleep is not an issue if you follow the right sleeping method. We have mentioned two more methods that any trouble sleeper could use. Let’s start with the first one.
1. Progressive Muscle Relaxation
Also known as deep muscle relaxation, this technique basically tenses out the muscles and then relaxes them in a progressive manner. The tension in muscles is released, delivering a soothing and relaxing feel which helps fall asleep.
- Start with your eyebrows, raise them as high as possible for 5 seconds. This will tense your forehead muscles. Drop the eyebrow and relax the muscles for 10 seconds.
- Smile wide so it can create tension in your facial muscles. Hold it for 5 seconds. Now release immediately and actively relax your facial muscles. Stay like this for 10 seconds.
- Follow the same procedure by squinting your eyes and relaxing your neck. Keep following this procedure for arms, chest, thigh and feet muscles.
2. 4-7-8 Breathing Technique
Another effective technique, a single cycle of this technique will help you fall asleep within a minute. There are three steps in this – inhaling – holding breath – exhaling.
- Exhale deeply with your lips slightly apart. Close your lips and inhale through your nose for 4 seconds.
- Hold it inside for 7 seconds and then again exhale in 8 seconds with a woosh sound.
How to Fall Asleep in Under 120 Seconds?
If you still cannot fall asleep, here are the ultimate 3 steps that will lead you to a calm and peaceful sleep.
1. Visualize Calm Places
The world is full of beautiful and calm places. Think of any real or imagined place that gives you peace and calmness. A research by Oxford University backs this method.
According to the research, people who occupy their minds with imagery distractions fall asleep faster than the ones who don’t.
Acupressure is a technique where you apply pressure on specific areas of your body to relieve stress. However, there is no research to back this claim but it’s believed to be highly effective.
Applying pressure on the above shown points and massaging them for 2-3 minutes in circular and up and down motion can help relieve pressure.
3. Force Yourself to Stay Awake
Applying reverse psychology in this situation can help you fall asleep. Reverse psychology means asserting a belief that’s opposite to what one desires. Forcing yourself to stay awake can actually help promote sleepiness.
These were some of the best ways to sleep quickly.
Do you have any of your own tips to add? Let us know in the comments below.