Road accidents in Pakistan are becoming a matter of concern not only for the affectees but also for the authorities. Do you know that in Punjab only, there were over 360,000 road accidents affecting nearly 400,000 people in 2021? These accidents took the lives of over 4,000 people.
Analyzing the data for 2022, the trend was the same but the numbers had increased! So, we need to think about how we can reduce them.
Now, let’s talk about the vehicles that are involved in road accidents most of the time. Motorcycles are involved in over 80% of road accidents whereas rickshaws and cars come in 2nd and 3rd place respectively.
Fact: Eye-opening isn’t it? 81% of cases involved male drivers whereas 19% of accidents involved female drivers.
Major Reasons Behind Road Traffic Accidents
Now, let’s see the reasons behind overall road traffic accidents.
- Overspeeding: 44%
- Carelessness: 34%
- Wrong Turn/Way: 7%
- Irresponsible U-Turn: 6%
- Others: 9%
Major Causes of Deaths in Motorcycle Accidents
The following are some of the major causes of death in bike accidents in Pakistan.
- Spinal Injury
- Head Injury
- Single Fracture
- Multiple Fracture
Why Do Bike Accidents Happen More?
Want to know why the ratio of bike accidents is higher than other vehicles? Here are some of the most important reasons behind bike accidents in Pakistan.
- Around 78% of registered vehicles are motorcycles so that’s why their chances of road accidents are higher.
- Overspeeding is among the major causes of motorcycle accidents as it is difficult to handle a motorcycle at high speed as compared to other vehicles.
- Hazardous road conditions like slippery or uneven roads are also among the major reasons behind motorcycle accidents.
- Carelessness is also a major cause of why bike accidents happen more.
- One-wheeling, reckless driving, and bike stunts are also the reasons why motorcycle accidents happen more.
- Many bike accidents occur due to a minor (under the age of 18) riding it as he/she is not mature enough to make critical decisions in demanding situations.
- Bikers tend to break “One Way Laws” more than others which is another reason why their accidents happen more.
How to Prevent Accidents / Safety Tips
Do you know that around 10% of road accidents result in head injuries? Over 20% of road traffic accidents result in single or multiple fractures. So, everyone needs to do whatever they can to prevent these accidents. Here are some important prevention measures and safety tips for you in this matter.
- Follow traffic rules.
- Avoid over speeding.
- Avoid distractions like calling, listening to songs, watching videos, smoking, or talking to others while driving.
- Be extra careful in poor weather and road conditions.
- Get your vehicle maintained regularly.
- Follow all the traffic rules.
- Limit night driving.
- Avoid unsafe lane changes and sharp or improper turns.
- Specifically for motorcyclists: Be on the extreme left lane on the road, which is also called the bike lane.
- Watch out for potholes as they can burst your vehicle’s tyre if you are driving at high speed.
Even if you follow all these prevention and safety tips, you should wear helmet. You can also buy motorcycle safety gear.
You may also like:
Helmet: Your Guardian Angel on the Road
How to Respond to An Accident
A majority of people don’t know how to respond to an accident and what to do when they come across one. Don’t worry we are going to tell you the best ways to respond to an accident.
What to do after road accidents?
- If you are involved in a road accident, the first thing you should do is to get out of the vehicle, gain full consciousness, remain calm, and be civilized. Don’t make the situation any worse.
- Check for injuries.
- If you don’t have any major injury, check the other persons, especially kids, the elderly, or disabled ones involved in the accident. Try to calm them down and inspect their injuries.
- Call the emergency service (1122, 15, or any other) immediately.
What not to do after the accident?
- Don’t leave the scene until the authorities (police, rescue, etc.) arrive if you are involved in the accident. Hit and Run is illegal and you can be prosecuted for it. The life of the other person might be at stake and he/she might need your help to stay alive. So, don’t run away.
- If you have an injury on the head, neck, or spine, don’t try to move as it can be life-threatening. Also, tell others not to move you and ask them to call the emergency service.
- Don’t move injured persons before inspecting their injuries as it can be deadly for them.
- Don’t feed the injured person as it can be harmful in some cases.
Read more about How to Respond to an Accident in detail.
It is our responsibility to drive responsibly to protect ourselves, our loved ones, and others. Now, you know the major reasons behind the bike accidents in Pakistan and how to prevent them, we believe you will behave responsibly from now on. We have also told you about what you should do and what not to do if you come across an accident. Stay safe!
You may also like:
Reasons Why Car Accidents Happen
Data Source: Rescue 1122
Leave a Reply